Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Godward At the Garden Shrine, Pompeii

Godward At the Garden Shrine, PompeiiGodward At the Garden DoorGodward A TrystGodward A Roman Matron
that moment Sam came running back from the edge of the dell.'I don't know what it is,' he said, 'but I suddenly felt afraid. I durstn't go outside this dell for any money; I felt that something was creeping up the slope.''Did you see anything?' asked Frodo, springing to his feet.'No, sir. I saw nothing, but I didn't stop to look.''I saw your hands!'For a breathless time they sat there, silent and alert, with their backs turned to the wood-fire, each gazing into the shadows that encircled them. Nothing happened. There was no sound or movement in the night. Frodo stirred, feeling that he must break the silence: he longed to shout out aloud.'Hush!' whispered Strider. 'What's that?' gasped Pippin at the same moment.Over the lip of the little dell, on the side away from the hill, they felt, rather than saw, a shadow rise, one shadow or more than one. They strained their eyes, and the shadows seemed to grow. Soon there could be no doubt:something,' said Merry; 'or I thought I did - away westwards where the moonlight was falling on the flats beyond the shadow of the hill-tops, I thought there were two or three black shapes. They seemed to be moving this way.''Keep close to the fire, with your faces outward!' cried Strider. 'Get some of the longer sticks ready in

No comments: