Friday, July 18, 2008

Claude Monet Vetheuil In Summer painting

Claude Monet Vetheuil In Summer painting
Howard Behrens Lake Como Landing painting
Weber couldn't wait to call his wife. "[It was] The happiest I've ever been," he says. "I answered the phone and Jason said, 'I love you,' and I just lost it, I just started crying," says Lisa Weber. But soon, relief turned to curiosity. Why did this happen? Was it necessary for Weber and others to spend 141 days in that jungle? Berg Associates' Larry Johnson, a counter-terrorism director for the U.S. State Department, says security in the Ecuadorean oil fields was woefully lax. "Frankly, I don't know how the guys that run these companies can sleep at night," he says. "It is outrageous because it was preventable." One of the reasons terrorists target employees of private industry is because the U.S. government is unlikely to intervene. "Unless it's an official U.S. employee," Johnson says, "Unless it involves a U.S. government entity, the U.S. government is not getting involved."

No comments: